Saturday, September 20, 2008

I Remember When...

Lately, I have really been missing my Grandma Fern. She passed almost a year ago. I can't say that I have ever missed someone so much. She was one grand lady that left a mark on me.


Don't really know why it has hit me so much lately. I think it is the smells of late summer and harvesting the crops and canning. She was always there for all of it. Picking weeds in the garden, snapping beans, canning tomatoes and on and on. As I have a lump in my throat and tears streaming down my face I want to share some of my favorite memories I had with Grandma Fern.



I Rember When:



I would sit next to Grandma in her cozy recliner and she would teach me how to knit.



I also remember knitting some on my own and having to take the 'mess' to her to get it fixed!



I remeber doing plastic canvas projects until we ran out of patterns..



I remember sitting around Grandmas big table and eating the most delicious meals one would ever taste. (My mom has this table now, and I feel the same about her).



I remember sitting next to Grandma in church and hearing her sing. It was not the way she sounded, but the passion in her voice that she sang with.



I remember going with Grandma to visit Grandma Sadie in the rest home. We went almost every Sunday after church. Even when I learned to drive she was brave enough to let me drive her car there. Can you believe I still hung out with my Grandma when I was 16?? I just loved being with her.


I remember eating Grandmas tasty cinnamon apple dumplings! And her cinnamon pickles!!



I remember having Cam and she was one of the first visiters. I still remember her holding him for the first time.



I remember having Bailey and I think she was the first one there.



I remember her helping me out so much when we came home. I think she knew the trials of having an infant and well another infant. I don't think Cam was a toddler yet.


She prepared meals, did laundry and was just there.



I remember when she always called Bailey her Sugar Babe. She just seemed to have a special bond with her.


I remember Grandma at all the special occasions. All the holidays, everyones birthday. I don't think she ever missed one! I don't think she ever missed a Sunday in church either unless she was really ill. I admire her for that!



I remember getting the call the Grandma was not doing so good. My heart sank.


I got many treasures from Grandmas house, but the thing I treasure the most is her Bible. It is hard to find a page that is not marked on. There is a card in there that she wrote this verse on. 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18 "Be joyful always; pray continually, give thanks in all circumstances for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus." She stived for this and is was such an example to me.





I can't wait until the day I get to see her again.. I am going to give the biggest hug I have ever given!!!



3 comments:

theatienza6 said...

I have totally been feeling this way and everytime I see something that reminds me of her I get teary. I still think of picking up the phone when I have a question and then have to stop myself. It doesn't seem quit possible that it will be year in another month. Mandie and I were just talking about this yesterday. It really hit me the other day when I was watching home videos and heard her voice.

Nicole said...

What a wonderful legacy!

Angela Oldaker said...

That is such a lovely tribute to your grandmother. Grandmothers are a special gift that God created for us to have. I miss all my grandma's...I was blessed to get to know many of my "great" family members. I actually still have a great-grandmother that is living...she is 96. I pray God will comfort your heart during these times of feeling such a loss. We join with you in the hope of tomorrow's joyful reunion. :)